In this article, I will guide you how to upgrade the Firmware in Cisco routers. I’m assuming that you already have the firmware images in TFTP server that you need to upload.
Follow these steps in order to upgrade the firmware on your modems:
- Store the firmware file into flash memory from a TFTP server.
NOTE: Do not erase the flash.
Copying files from TFTP to flash is very simple process just like the Cisco IOS.
Use following command:
Router#copy tftp flash
- Load the new firmware into the digital signal processors (DSPs) of the modem.
You can also have multiple versions of firmware loaded in flash memory. The modem will use the firmware version that is bundled with the current Cisco IOS software, unless you configure it to behave differently.
Let us experience Cisco IOS Software upgrade below.
Follow these steps for upgrading the firmware on the Cisco 3600 Series Router for Cisco IOS Software Release 12.0(5):
- Enter the reload command.
- Copy the modem firmware that comes bundled with the Cisco IOS software with these commands:
router#show modem bundled-firmware
!— shows the bundled firmware version
router#copy ios-bundled modem
Cisco IOS Software Releases Later than 12.0(5)
For the Cisco 3600 Series routers, you must reload the router in order to load the modem portware.
Complete these steps in order to upgrade the modem code:
- Load the desired portware into flash.
- Reload the router. When the router reloads, it loads the latest version of available portware.
You can also have multiple versions of portware loaded in flash memory. The router will load the latest version of portware that is bundled with the current Cisco IOS software, unless you configure it to behave differently.
Note: If the version bundled with Cisco IOS is later than the version in flash, the router loads the portware bundled with Cisco IOS instead of the portware saved in flash.